How To Lower Your Anxiety and End the Battle of Wills
It’s 4:45pm on a beautiful spring day, as you walk past the playground you notice an exasperated mother force her wailing toddler into a stroller. Did you shudder as you walked past grateful this wasn’t you? Or maybe at times, it’s been you. To be perfectly honest with all of you, at times it’s been me.
On today’s episode of Yoga| Birth | Babies we’re going to talk about anxiety and the need to control your child (or children). When I came across this topic from our guest, psychotherapist and parent coach Olivia Bergeron I thought wow, I totally relate to that. Have I felt the need to control things? Yes. Have I let my anxiety run my desire to control things? Yes. Have I gone head to head or (will to will) with both of my children? Yes.
So when I was introduced to Olivia and this topic, I thought this is something I really relate to and I think many other parents do as well. Olivia provides fantastic information. In our conversation she answers questions like does controlling really help? Or does the strategy backfire? Does anxiety have a purpose? And what are some better strategies to help our child find their way instead of us trying to control?
Olivia has a lot of knowledge. She’s incredibly smart, and I’m really excited for you to hear this conversation.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Olivia and what led her to her work helping parents.
- The parenting philosophy that guides Olivia in her work with parents.
- Why parents become controlling.
- Why this strategy backfires.
- The purpose of anxiety.
- The warning signs of a battle.
- Sucessful strategies to get kids to do what we ask.
- Ways that we as parents can take care of ourselves so we can parent in a way we feel proud of.
A parent to three, Olivia Bergeron is a psychotherapist and parent coach, specializing in helping clients feel proud of their parenting from pregnancy through the teen years.
She has been helping moms and dads since 2005. Olivia offers psychotherapy to clients in New York, New Jersey and Florida and parent coaching to folks worldwide.
Olivia graduated from Vassar College and New York University. She studied with Dr. Laura Markham, author of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids, when she added parent coaching to her practice.
Her site is mommygroove.com.
Connect with Olivia:
Mommy Groove Therapy (Facebook)
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 Simple Solutions to the Most Common Pregnancy Pains HERE
- If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center
Mothering,YOGA | BIRTH | BABIES Podcast, #Anxiety #Battle #Wills